Friday 25 January 2008

Creatively blocked thumbs


There is a huge element of frustration for me with any form of artistic work. Several reasons; 1) I haven't taken the time to really focus or complete any project in, well, a couple of years. Your observation is correct Kelley. Those brushes, although years old haven't had much use at all in the past 3 years. Mostly for decorating handpainted furniture. 2) I can't seem to locate much of my supplies. Don't know if I lost them in the move or if they've been eaten by the beasts. Brushes, soldering tools, my dremmel, nail gun, jigsaw. Gone or packed away somewhere. 3). a wonderful little thing called de Quervain syndrome (also known as Radial styloid tenosynovitis). Ive been going to therapy 3 times a week with some improvement but now stirring up other hand and finger issues. Apparently, I got the De Quervain because of self inflicted thumb abuse secondary to compensating for other tendon issues in my hands. At any rate. Im back to practicing brush strokes and exercises I once considered "silly" when I apprenticed under a professional artist in Pittsburgh many years ago. Anne once told me that if you want to paint for living, don't get arthritis. She never said anything about the fancy Swiss de Quervain. There certainly wont be any fine details sketched or intricacies painted in the near future. I'll just keep on plugging away with the wrist braces, anti-inflamatories and therapy. I think I'll try working on a glittered and glued letters banner I've been wanting to make to hang in my archway. No more hitch hiking or thumb wrestling for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment